I’m trying to grow my Filipino Instant Pot Recipes. So far, I’ve made the Arroz Caldo Instant Pot Recipe, Kare-Kare Instant Pot Recipe (post to follow), then this Chicken Adobo Instant Pot Recipe. I just created it yesterday and it was the best chicken adobo recipe I’ve made so far. If you love adobo with a lot of sauce to pour into your steam rice, then this is the Chicken Adobo Instant Pot Recipe you should try. You’re gonna love it whether you’re a Filipino or not.
PIN FOR LATER: FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO INSTANT POT RECIPE
FILIPINO ADOBO RECIPE
Adobo is one of the most popular Filipino dishes and it’s made with either chicken or pork marinated in vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns. There are a lot of different Adobo Recipe variations. Some have more soy sauce, others have more vinegar. Some are dry, while others have a lot of sauce. I like my adobo with a lot of sauce so I can pour it over the steamed rice. For this Chicken Adobo Instant Pot Recipe, I added caramelized onion and lots of garlic which made the sauce even delicious.
FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO INSTANT POT RECIPE
Instant Pot Chicken Adobo Ingredients:
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar (I used Apple Cider Vinegar for this recipe)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (I combined Kikkoman Soy Sauce & Light Soy Sauce for this recipe)
- 1 whole Garlic, chopped (chop it smaller than what’s on my photo)
- 3 Bay leaf
- 2 tsp. Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
How to Cook Chicken Adobo in the Instant Pot:
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- Marinade the chicken at least 2 hours or overnight in the soy sauce, vinegar, some of the garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and sugar. I honestly didn’t have enough time to marinade, it still tasted great but it would be better to do so.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot. Heat the cooking oil (I used olive oil) then saute the garlic in the Instant Pot until slightly brown. I do this to get the oil to taste & smell like garlic, make sure it doesn’t get burnt. Then set aside the garlic to put on top of the cooked chicken adobo later on. Warning: the house started to smell good! The toddler came and wanted to eat already.
- With the oil still hot in the Instant Pot, brown the chicken on both sides on saute mode.
- Set aside the chicken on a plate.
- Make sure to chopped the onions really well, after getting a bit teary eyed from chopping, I took out my mini food processor. Haha.
- Saute the onion in the Instant Pot until translucent, then add in the marinade and topped it with the chicken (skin side up).
- Cover the Instant Pot, make sure the “Stem Release” is on the “Seal” position. Then cook it on “Poultry” mode for 15 minutes. Once done, open the lid, place the chicken on a plate or bowl of steam rice. Reduce the sauce in the Instant Pot by putting it on saute mode for 5-10 minutes to make it a little thicker before pouring over your chicken.
Note: next time I will try to just put all the Adobo ingredients in the Instant Pot without sauteing anything to see if it will taste the same.
HOW TO USE THE INSTANT POT
Instant Pot is a pressure cooker and is one of the best selling products for 2 years now. I’m not one to go with fads but I was given one and was kinda forced to use it. I was scared of it at first and was unsure I’d use it coz I never really like my slow cooker and gave it away. The Instant Pot is the opposite of slow, it makes cooking really fast and since it is sealed, you can leave your cooking then come back. Unlike old pressure cooker, it has different settings so you can cook poultry, soup, rice, meat/stew, porridge, and you can even steam in it.
INSTANT POT VENT
You have the option to put all the ingredients inside the Instant Pot and cook it together without using the saute mode especially with soups but if you want to brown the meat first, that option is available too! Just make sure to set the vent to the “seal” position and release the steam once your food is cooked before opening the lid. Have fun! Leave your comments if you have questions.
Check out some of the Instant Pot below:
ALSO TRY THIS – ARROZ CALDO INSTANT POT RECIPE: