We’ve attended the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, simply known as “Coachella,” for several years now. It is the No. 1 Music Festival in the World that draws 250,000 for two weekends each in April at the Empire Polo Club in Indio. Besides the amazing music headliners and up-and-coming artists, the event is also known for incredible and interactive art installations, delicious food, and eye-catching fashion. As a Coachella veteran, there are several things you should have to make your experience the best ever. Here are the 10 Things to Pack for Coachella.
disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
10 USEFUL THINGS TO PACK FOR COACHELLA
1. Bandana Face Mask – Avoid the infamous “Coachella Cough” and buy yourself a bandana face mask. It gets windy at times in Indio in the month of April and dust kicks up from the dirt areas around the polo fields, especially during Weekend 2 after much of the grass has been killed off from Weekend 1. These masks are seamless and serve as a head wrap and scarf as well. This comes in a pack of 9 so you have clean ones for each day or share with your friends.
2. Foldable Water Bottle – Bring this foldable kind to get into the event and make it easier to carry. Make sure it’s empty before entering. Metal and glass bottles aren’t allowed. There are a lot of water stations at the grounds where you can refill it with water. Remember that Indio is in the desert so temperatures can hit the 90’s or higher during the day in April. Also, leave a water bottle in your car as it’s going to be a long walk when the show is done for the night. Hydration backpack is also a good option.
3. Sunscreen – Again, you’re in the desert so you definitely need sunscreen. Get the travel size so you can carry with you around the festival and reapply throughout the day. Pump or cream only, aerosols are not allowed.
4. Safety Sunglasses – I know this sounds weird but safety glasses with side protectors are a must-have when the wind kicks up that dust. I know the ladies want to be all fashionable and this sunglass is really cool for Coachella, but if you can, find one with full coverage.
5. Sun Hat – Do not go home with a sunburned scalp. It has happened to me before with just a few hours at the theme park. You can bring a foldable hat, one that protects your neck, and one with a chin strap so it doesn’t fly away in case it gets windy which it usually does or just use a good ol’ baseball hat.
6. Fashion Fanny Pack – You heard of phones getting stolen at Coachella? Well, it’s true. Although incidents have decreased in the past few years, make sure you’re not a victim of the phone snatcher by keeping your phone, keys, and power bank safely secured. Also note that the trend this year is bright and neon.
7. Compact Power Bank and Phone Chargers – There are charging stations spread out around the Coachella Festival grounds so do bring your cable and plug. But if you’re locked tight near the front of the main stages and don’t want to lose your place, make sure you don’t run out of juice by using a compact power bank.
8. Pocket Blanket – You’ll be glad to have this after walking around for several hours with your friends. Find a shaded area to rest up during the day or lay this down near the art installations and relax in the evening to listen to the music. The speakers are loud enough to hear the music way back from the stage if you prefer to stay away from the crowds and just watch the concert on the big screens. Also, the temps drop quickly at night so you might find yourself wrapping this around you when you’re not wearing much.
9. Hand Sanitizer and Wet Wipes – Bring a travel size hand sanitizer to keep your hands clean and germ-free. You’ll need wipes in case they run out of toilet paper or paper towels in the restroom. Plus wipe down your face or feet (if you’re wearing sandals) every few hours since it gets dusty on the festival grounds especially on weekend 2 when the grass is pretty much gone.
10. Cardigan or Kimono – It’s warm (or hot) during the daytime at Coachella Festival but it does get cold & windy at night so do bring something to keep you warm. Either wrap a cardigan or sweater in the daytime around your waist or just bring a lightweight kimono. Remember the festival runs for 3 days so you wanna make sure you don’t get a cold and get sick by day 2.
What are the things you can’t bring to Coachella? Here is the list:
- NO Aerosol Products Incl. Sunscreen
- NO Air Horns
- NO Animals. Service Animals Allowed (See ADA Page)
- NO Audio Recording Devices
- NO AVPs, Mods, Liquid Refills for Vapes
- NO Chairs Incl. Inflatable, Folding
- NO Chains Incl. Chain Wallets
- NO Coolers
- NO Cameras (Professional) – Defined As Having A Detachable Lens
- NO Drones or Remote Control Vehicles or Toys
- NO Drugs or Drug Paraphernalia incl. Cannabis, Cannabis Products & Prescriptions must be in properly labeled containers that match the holder’s ID. (No pillboxes.)
- NO Flammables incl. Fireworks, Explosives, Road Flares
- NO Flags or Totems
- NO Flashlights
- NO Flyers, Samples, Giveaways, Promotional Items
- NO Glass or Metal Container including Refillable Water Bottles
- NO Glow Sticks, LED Gloves, or LED Products
- NO Hula Hoops
- NO Musical Instruments
- NO Kites or Sky Lanterns
- NO Laser Pointers
- NO Massagers
- NO Outside Food or Beverage
- NO Personal Vehicle like Bicycles, Skates, Scooters, Skateboards, Hoverboards, Segways, Electric Scooters (Birds, Limes), etc. Personal Mobility Devices for ADA Guest Are Allowed. (See ADA Page)
- NO Selfie Sticks, Tripods or Narcisticks
- NO Sharpies, Markers, Paint Pens
- NO Sleeping Bags
- NO Stuffed Animals
- NO Tarps, Tents
- NO Toy Guns, Water Guns or Sling Shots
- NO Umbrellas
- NO Video Cameras
- NO Weapons Of Any Kind like Guns, Ammo, Pocket Knives, Tasers, Pepper Spray/Mace, etc. including off-duty law enforcement or concealed carry permits.
Also Read: Coachella Camping Packing List
- Palm Springs Weekend Getaway Guide
- 20 Fun Things to do in Palm Springs with Kids
- 5 Tips for Visiting Palm Springs Aerial Tramway