Looking for U-pick apple farms near Los Angeles? Go Apple Picking in Oak Glen CA, located just 1.5 hr. away from L.A. – it is a small agricultural community located in the foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains. Below is a guide to Oak Glen Apple Picking 2023 including hours, which Oak Glen u-pick apple farm to visit, and all the fun things to do in Oak Glen besides visiting U-pick farms.
APPLE PICKING SEASON 2023
Oak Glen apple picking season 2023 starts the month of September to October, between Labor Day weekend and runs until Thanksgiving weekend. Some Oak Glen apple orchards are open now for U-pick apples, other U-pick fruits including raspberries and pears, family-friendly activities, a petting zoo, fresh-baked goods like apple pies, and more. Make sure to check with individual orchard for U-pick apple schedule as some will open on Labor Day while others won’t open until October.
BEST TIME FOR APPLE PICKING
The best time for apple picking is between September to October but what’s ripe for the picking depends on the apple variety. Check each Oak Glen apple farm’s website to see what variety of apples is available during your visit. Oak Glen is the best place to go apple picking but due to the popularity of U-pick apple farms in Oak Glen, don’t wait until the end of October to visit to make sure you still have apples to pick.
THINGS TO DO IN OAK GLEN
Plan an Oak Glen apple picking trip with the family and visit U-pick Farms for apples and berries, make your own apple cider juice, and grab BBQ for lunch. Don’t leave without bringing home an apple pie, apple butter jams, and apple cider donuts.
Located in Yucaipa, California, Oak Glen is located in San Bernardino County in the San Bernadino Mountains, Oak Glen Road is a scenic loop that travels a total distance of 20 miles with 5 miles of it comprising of Oak Glen farms, shops, restaurants, nature trails, bakeries, cafes, cideries, and historical landmarks.
OAK GLEN APPLE FARMS:
12099 Oak Glen Rd, Yucaipa, CA 92399
Willowbrook Apple Farm is a small 100-year-old family farm where you can experience u-pick apples and u-press apple cider and savor Stayman-Winesap apples fresh off the tree. Surrounded by fall colors in the San Bernardino mountains, you can enjoy locally grown food, freshly pressed apple cider, meet farm animals, and experience small farm life in a picturesque setting.
Willowbrook U-pick apple picking season will start in October and run based on crop availability. Willowbrook Apple Farm Oak Glen is open Saturday and Sundays only, 10 AM – 4 PM. This 2023, they are requiring you to RSVP before you visit. Check them on Instagram for updates on apple picking.
39611 Oak Glen Rd, Yucaipa, CA 92399.
Los Rios Rancho in Oak Glen is Southern California’s largest apple farm in operation since 1906. Apple season starts Labor Day through Thanksgiving at the Historic Los Rios Rancho.
Some of the activities you can enjoy at Los Rios Rancho include apple picking tour, carriage ride, attend the Farm Fair, U-pick apple, U-pick peppers and raspberries, Farm Store Tent with seasonal goodies, Farm Kitchen that serves Tri-tip sandwiches, BBQ, cold beverages, dessert, and more, Nature Trails, Oak Knoll Park and Blue Sky Park, Little Seedling Ranch (Petting Zoo and miniature Farm), Horseback Rides and Carriage Rides, Tractor Rides and Horse Drawn Wagon Tours, Live Musical Entertainment, and Hard Cider Tasting
Los Rios Rancho is open 7 days a week from 10 AM to 5 PM. They do not require a reservation but not all activities are available daily so check their website, you’ll be able to do more on the weekends but it will also be more busy.
12131 S. Oak Glen Rd., Oak Glen, CA 92399
Stone Soup Farm in Oak Glen offers apple picking in their 130-year-old heirloom apple orchard in October. There is a 10-minute tour about the history of the apple farm, some information about their apples, apple tasting and general rules while picking. U-pick apples are $3.75/lb. and the farm provides apple bags at the introduction talk before picking apple begins. Visit their website to reserve.
Apple picking season at Stone Soup Orchard begins the first weekend in October.
11993 S. Oak Glen Rd., Yucaipa Ca 92399
Stone Pantry Orchard in Oak Gen offers U-Pick apples, pears, blackberries, and pumpkins. You also get to press your own cider. They are open weekends Labor Day to Thanksgiving 10-5 and by appointment during the week.
5. Riley’s Farm
12261 S Oak Glen Rd., Oak Glen, CA 92399
I do not recommend visiting Riley’s, there has been a lot of disconcerting news about and tweets from the owner. It was the first farm we saw when we went to Oak Glen years before all the news came out.
Our past visit to Riley’s Farm Oak Glen CA was like stepping back into Colonial America. What was available during our visit was apple picking, berry picking, making your own pressed cider, sampling a variety of apples, and all sorts of apple jams available for sale.
Apple picking at Riley’s Farm in Oak Glen is available on Saturdays. Their website has the latest update on U-Pick apple variety but I hope you visit the other farms instead.
Tips for Apple Picking in Oak Glen:
- When apple picking in Oak Glen, make sure to check the weather condition before going and dress accordingly. The weather is cooler in Oak Glen but it can also be hot on a sunny day. Make sure to also check that there is no fire in the area before driving out.
- The operating hours of some apple farm changes every year so confirm before going.
- There is no entrance fee to most Oak Glen apple farms but charges per pound on how much apples or other fruits you’ve picked. Check their website for rates or give them a call.
- Some U-pick apple farms in Oak Glen are bigger than others. The bigger farms may have more activities but they also have more crowd so choose accordingly or visit a different one every year.
- Oak Glen is crowded on the weekends so do arrive early so you can find parking in any of the Oak Glen apple farms. Parking on the main road is not allowed.
- It’s less-crowded in Oak Glen during weekdays but some Oak Glen apple orchards are not open daily and some activities are not available.
- Bring a sun hat, closed-toed shoes, water, and a good camera. Oak Glen’s apple orchards creates the perfect backdrop for family pictures.
- Dogs may not be allowed so check each Oak Glen apple farms’ rules before going.
- Try to check-in at a U-pick tent & grab a bag before you start roaming around the apple farms. Some orchards are really big and you don’t want to go back & forth. It’s best to bring cash as well.
- Try to check the crop information via each Oak Glen apple orchard’s website to know what apple variety is available for U-pick.
Other Things to Do in Oak Glen besides Apple Picking:
39400 Oak Glen Rd, Yucaipa, CA 92399
Snow-line Orchard is a family owned apple farm, winery & cidery in Oak Glen and has been around since 1898. Visit them for apple cider mini donuts and cider slushies, u-pick raspberries, balsamic vinegar and oils, local honey, unique gifts, and farm made wine and hard cider. Snow-Line Orchard does not have u-pick apple available but they do sell apples.
Snow-Line Orchard is open daily from 9 AM to 5 PM.
38480 Oak Glen Road, Yucaipa, CA 92399
Visit Oak Tree Mountain in Oak Glen to enjoy fresh-baked 5lb mile-high apple pies and other goodies from Apple Annies Bakery, eat a hand-dipped Caramel Apple at their Candy Store, and pet the animals in the petting zoo and visit the local shops and artisans.
Other activities include mountain tube ride, gold panning, axe throwing, and more.
Fun Things to Do in Southern California:
Other Fun Things to do in the Fall:
- Best Pumpkin Patches in Los Angeles
- Knott’s Scary Farm Discount Tickets
- Universal Hollywood Halloween Horror Night Discount Tickets
- Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights Discount Tickets
- Howl-O-Scream Discount Tickets: Busch Gardens & Sea World
- Legoland Brick or Treat
- Temecula Mall Mansion of Lost Souls Haunted House Discount
- San Diego Kids Go Free October
- Southern California Halloween Events
- Fairplex Oktoberfest Discount Tickets